Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Weekend

On Friday night the girls were at the in-laws so my husband and I could have a date night, we decided to go see 'When in Rome'.  It actually is a very entertaining romantic comedy that I would highly recommend if you are looking for something light and fun.  The only reason I mention it is that there were a couple of running scenes through NY's Central Park that had me longing for some warm weather and also further motivates me to run the NY marathon.  I have been a couple of times years agao but that was in my non-running days.  I did put my name in the New York marathon lottery for this November so here is hoping my name will be pulled. It would be quite an experience!

So we have been hit with a cold front, I guess we couldn't get away with unseasonably warm temperatures for the entire winter season, but I wouldn't have complained. Anyway, yesterday and today was -20 degrees Celcius (or 4 degrees F.) with the wind chill - too cold for my blood.  Despite the extreme bitter wind from the north, I went out for a 20k run both Saturday and Sunday.  On Saturday I ran with Marlene and Sunday with the Running Room group. There is no way I could stay motivated in that cold to run by myself so it was great to be able to get out with others. 

After attending a Jeff Galloway talk in Disney on his frequent walk break appraoch to running, I have embraced it and have started to use it on my LSD days.  Marlene was kind enough to humour me on Saturday so we did 4 minutes of running and then took 35 second walk breaks.  On Saturday we finished at a 6:19/k pace, not bad given the weather and trying to take it easy given that we had to be back out the next day.  I then ran with a couple of other friends on Sunday's run and did the same run/walk approach and finished 20k at a 6:13/k.  I  would have liked to get it down a few seconds but all in all a successful weekend of running. So my total mileage for the week is approx. 60km. 

This coming week it is not going to as much for my hubby and I are heading to my parent's cottage for the weekend and then he and I are going to spend the night in Ottawa, just the two of us. My parent's have created this 3 year tradition which I am looking forward to. Plus my husband is going to let me join one of the Running Room stores for a morning run on Sunday so I can get some distance in while I am away.  Now that is a great Valentine's gift that money can't buy!

Hope everyone has had a great weekend!

8 comments:

Char said...

A 60 k week! That's huge. Well done

Kelly said...

I just found your blog through Marlene's and I wanted to say Hi and welcome to the blog world.

Teamarcia said...

Your date night sounds awesome--I so need one (or more) of those! Sorry about the frigid weather.

Hannah said...

Hi Julia! I hope you have a wonderful night away with (and alone!) with your husband. Sounds just perfect! Enjoy your getaway!

Paula said...

Just 20 and 20 eh? You make me sick!!! lol Very cool on the Jeff Galloway thing. Have fun with your hubby for Valentines.

Anne said...

Isn't it always the way...my post today is about the fact that no one talks about walking during their runs :) ...and there you go talking about walking during your runs! Excellent!

I Run for Fun said...

Date night sounds like a lot of fun.

I have to say, though I don't use them often, I have found walk breaks highly effective.

Marlene said...

You have 10 followers! :)

I think I am still warming up from our runs this weekend.