Monday, February 22, 2010

The Weekend - a distant memory already

Over the weekend I logged 15k on Saturday and 21k on Sunday. A successful running weekend! On the home front my husband and I spent some quality time with Reilly. London was at the grandparents so we took Reilly swimming on Saturday afternoon, one of her favorite activities. It was actually really nice to give her this time, for usually London, believe it or not, takes up a lot of our time and attention around the house.


Saturday night we had a few of my running friends over and although we did talk and reminisce about past runs and events my husband did not feel out of place. I am hoping over time he will wear down and join us crazies out on the road but the more I hint at this, the more he resists. It is funny that since we were all running (except for one who was on the injury list and my husband) the next morning at 8.30 am it was not a late night. I guess that is the difference when you get a group of die hard runners out on a Saturday evening, an early night and healthy eaters. I had a chocolate pecan dessert and would you believe that out of eight of us, no one dared took a piece. Now that is discipline or a reflection of how we all have changed our habits.

On Sunday we also visited with our neighbors who are in their fifties and don’t have any grandchildren yet. The husband is quite the pianist and I insisted he show off his musical talent for the girls, especially Reilly. It was amazing to see Reilly light up as soon as he started playing some show tunes. It is interesting that most girls with Rett Syndrome love music, it is almost like that part of their brain is more developed and consistently so with all girls with RS. For instance, one of my friend’s daughter who has RS, loves classical music but only classical music. Moreover, she loves it so much she has to listen to classical music, almost every minute she is awake and will indicate by getting upset when a song comes on that she doesn’t like. It is interesting to note her likes and dislikes change throughout the day, and day to day.

It was a rare occurrence for London to fall asleep early but last night she did just after 8 pm, so I had some unexpected freedom to do whatever I wanted and last night I felt like taking it easy. So I watched a Canadian movie called Saint Ralph. It was released back in 2005 but I never heard of it before. Anyway it is set in the 1950’s and it is about a fourteen year old boy whose mom is in a coma. I missed the first bit of the movie so I am not sure how she ended up in a coma but he comes up with this crazy notion that if he wins the Boston Marathon that it will be the miracle needed to pull her out of it. So the movie is about his journey of him training for the Boston Marathon and employing some interesting running strategies along the way. It has some cute moments and if I wasn’t a runner I don’t think I would have appreciated it as much as I did, especially with an ultimate goal of someday qualifying for Boston.

3 comments:

Marlene said...

We found the movie on one of our time shift channels and set it to record, so we can watch the whole thing. Glad you liked it and thanks for letting me know.

Regarding the dessert... clearly we all decided that we'd prefer to use our 'splurge' calories on wine, beer and pomtinis!

Teamarcia said...

Chocolate? Pecans? What's not to like? I would have been all over your dessert. Sounds like a cool movie!

RunKathyRun said...

The push-up challenge I am trying to do can be found here:

http://www.hundredpushups.com/

Go check it out!

The movie sounds great, I think I will check it out.