Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Resetting Expectations

So my husband and I had big plans for this past weekend. We took the afternoon and made it to my parent's place at dinner time.  We had a great dinner and start to the weekend.... and then my hubby got hit hard with the stomach bug shortly afterwards.   He missed watching the opening ceremoies and was AWOL for all of Saturday and Saturday night, for he became best friends with the bathroom. No more needs to be said here.  Needless to say we had to abort our getaway to Ottawa, much to our mutal dissapointment.  On Saturday I thought I was next in line to catch this awful bug for I developed terrible chills all day, aches and pains in the muscles and bones that wouldn't go away. I resigned to the fact that this is it, for that is how it started for Mike.  I had no choice though to carry on with the day with Mike already being out but managed to get to bed early.  Much to my pleasant surprise and probably to my parents as well, I felt a lot better on Sunday. Hallelujah!

My other half was feeling a bit better by Monday and we all went out for a skate on the lake.  Here are some photos of London skating or rather getting acquainted with her new skates and the new feeling of being on ice. It was great that she wasn't intimidated at all. I think she is determined to play hockey like her dad.  She is starting to get a mean slap shot with her hockey stick in the basement.  


Since Reilly is not steady on her feet on the best of days, there is no way we would try putting her on skates. Instead she enjoyed being pampered like a snow queen in a sled. Here she is sporting my sunglasses, there was quite a reflection coming off the snow.



My parents have had this cottage for three years and each winter season has been very different then the last. This year they haven't received much snow so no real opportunities for snow shoeing but the lake has frozen so nicely that you can actually skate across it without any real issues.  I have never skated on a lake before let alone going across it and I must admit at first I was a little unsettled wondering if the ice was thick enough but after coming across some clear patches it was quite evident that it was at least 16 inches thick. Here are some cool pictures that we took, at least we think they are cool given that we are city folk and rarely do things like this.







You can tell that I am a city girl when I was fascinated by the fishing huts. Most of them had a heat source that fed to the outside and windows with curtains.  In some ways they were like little homes on the ice.   While we were out on the lake throughout the weekend and even during the night we often heard a very distinct sound coming from the lake. The best way to describe it would be that of a drum or even a car door slamming but magnified.  I am told it has something to do with the ice fracturing or freezing but it is not the sound that you would expect with ice changes.  Either way it was a little unnerving at times.

Unfortunately I did not get any runs in over the weekend as a result of Mike being under the weather and my own stomach doing summersaults. I am dissapointed about this but what can you do. I am hoping that this unintended break will allow me to come back stronger and faster than before. 

Juliana

5 comments:

RunKathyRun said...

The pictures of the ice are amazing; I have never seen something like this. I was born and raised in Southern California :-) I think I would have been a little un-nerved about the ice noises too.

Marlene said...

Oh no! Sorry to hear that both you and Mike ended up with the bug.

Glad you were able to salvage some of your weekend, though. Looks like fun out on the lake!

Barb said...

Hope you are all feeling better soon! Those stomach bugs really knock you out!

Cheers
Barb

Paula said...

I enjoyed the ice shots too. How like you to make the most of it. Such a 1/2glass full trooper!
I truly think that the break in running is OK. Remember you are supposed to rotate in a recovery week with shorter long run every 3 or 4 weeks anyways.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Those are great pictures! Sucks that you were sick though!! Hope you're all back to 100% soon!