Friday, February 5, 2010

Tempo Run

TGIF!!!

Last night was the Running Room clinic night and it was a scheduled Tempo run -3/3/3.  For the past three clinic seasons I challenged myself but within a certain comfort zone. In other words, I held back.  This clinic I vowed to myself to step it up and take it to the next level, particularly in the speed work department.  For our pace group last night, the goal was to maintain an average pace for the middle 3k of 5:30/k.  Well I have happy to report that not only did I accomplish that I ended up doing an average pace of 5:24 for not 3k but 5k total. Yahoo!  I must confess though I was hell bent on trying to keep up to Marlene, not because I think I should be at her pace, but rather she served as a motivating factor to work towards a goal. So I was on her heels for most of the route.  It definitely helps to have someone in the clinic to serve as your baseline or target. Sorry Marlene but your it but do consider it a compliment.

When I got home I did a little more stretching and the tendon on my right knee was a little tender. I knew it was because I pushed myself and of course that little comfort zone angel started to natter saying that I should take it easy so a little wave of doubt has started to creap in that I should be challenging myself. I will try to incorporate more leg strengthening exercises into my routine and maybe book a physio appt as a preventative measure. 

7 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Stopping by your blog from Marlene's post today! (yes, she is very motiving and inspiring for sure!) Welcome to the blogosphere, it is an amazing community :) have a wonderful weekend!

Marlene said...

You were awesome last night! And no worries, I love having someone on my heels. I do the same thing - it helps to "chase". I hope to have many more runs like this on Thursdays coming up.

Take care of that knee.

teacherwoman said...

I too am stopping by your blog after reading Marlene's post! Welcome to the blogworld!

Anne said...

Welcome to the blog-world...I started a short month ago...and I'm loving the encouragement and advice I find and receive.

Rhett syndrome is such a devastating disorder...I'm sending positive vibes your way.

As for your knee...yeah, it's tempting to right away want to pull back when we feel pain (I'm new at running so I haven't learned to really push myself yet)...I guess we can push, then pull...then push again :)

Teamarcia said...

Just found your blog thanks to Marlene ; ). Good luck with your training!

Char said...

I agree - TGIF (it's Saturday here, but the sentiment's the same) Great run last night. It's always so exciting to run beyond your expectations.

Paula said...

Well done! Feel the burn and enjoy it...you know you've pushed it when......Next time make Marlene look at your ass!!!!!!!!!lol