Friday, July 23, 2010

TGIF

Last night, Marlene and another running friend went out to do a 10k run. I can’t remember the last time I ran in the evening, for I have been running in the morning for the last few weeks due to the extreme hot weather we have been experiencing; which has provided for a more comfortable run. It was about 28 degrees and high thirty something with the humidity. I struggled right from the beginning which is an awful feeling and thought how the hell I am going to finish the full 10k without passing out. At the half way point we passed Marlene’s house and I asked her if I could refill my water which she was able to do but although it was a good thing to have the extra water available my stomach felt like it was going to heave and my heart felt like it was going to explode out of my chest.

I did try to encourage the two of them to go ahead for I knew I was keeping them back but they were faithful running friends and made sure they saw me to the finish. At the time I just wanted them to go ahead for I felt obligated to keep going but of course I appreciated it in the end.

I would have to say that this run comes out on top as the most uncomfortable run I have experienced to date. I know that my body does not react well to the heat on a good day but on the run last night every eating sin I have made this week came bubbling to the top and I vowed to get my act together once and for all. I know that even if I clean up my diet where I can successfully say I consistently eat clean I might struggle with the heat but at least I have done everything else within my control.

It took a few minutes to recover but then I was fine and it is if the torment of the past hour never even happened; which meant that vow I took on the run was dissolving into my memory banks with each minute that passed. However, I managed to restrict my post-run food intake to a very reasonable amount and passed up indulging further. Here is to the commitment of continuing this throughout the day.

2 comments:

Marlene said...

LOL, I knew you were trying to get rid of us. We weren't going to let you walk it in. I knew you were suffering, but you held on REALLY well. What a character-building run. Sorry if we pushed you a little too hard. We should have been a bit slower from the get-go.

Here's to eating clean all weekend!! I am trying to be 100% good up until our camping trip next weekend. Why is it so difficult?!?!

Char said...

Heat + Humidity = Horrible Running. I hate Summer running and am really grateful that it's Winter over here.