Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Ruby Tuesday

This morning I was so tempted to go back to sleep when the alarm went off. I allowed for one snooze which I don't normally do when I get up this early for I find the snooze only plays with my mind more. As part of my early run routine I checked the forecast and it said that it was 16 degrees but the humidity was 94%. I didn't know what to expect this morning and when I felt goose bumps on my arms after heading outside I thought hmm, this might just be a good run after all.  The first 3k was perfect and I wish all my runs could be this temperature but then when the sun started to rise the "crispness" in the air evaporated and I started to feel more of the humidity. It was still much cooler or bearable than past weeks and overall I felt great.  I started with just over a 2.5k warmup and then decided to see what I could do this morning.

Warm-up: 2.5k +
Tempo 1k - 6:03/k - I thought I was going faster
Tempo 2k - 5:55/k - this part includes a hill
Tempo 3k - 5:37 - that is more like it
Tempo 4k - 5:34
Tempo 5k - 5:26

Overall I am quite pleased, especially since I am doing this solo and that there are quite a few ascents within this route.  I have only 5 weeks left before the Quebec City Marathon and although I did not get in the desired speed work leading up to it and the mileage I intended but given how hot and humid it has been I am very satisfied with what I have been able to do instead of taking the easy way out and dropping down to a half right from the start. Quebec City doesn't usually get heat waves like we do in this area but given that the entire world has been experiencing crazy weather patterns lately if they happen to have one during race weekend I will drop down to a half regardless of my training for I need to be smart and not ruin myself for the PEC a month later.

I should also note that I had an amazing run on Sunday as well. I ran with a friend up in Barrie who were doing 30k (Newmarket group were only doing 18k). I have never run up in Barrie before and to my surprise the entire 30k was flat. I don't think you can design a route in Newmarket for that distance. It was also very scenic and such a nice change. Of course the company made the experience too! It doesn't hurt that where they finish has a water fountain area where you can soak your legs or run through them to cool off. I think this part alone is worth the drive north, plus the fact that their running instructor provided freezies at the end. 

My overall pace on Sunday was 6:10/km.

2 comments:

Marlene said...

Funny, I didn't feel the humidity at all this morning. Maybe it was the time - I was done by 6:30.

Great job on the tempo - nice progressive splits!

That post-long run water fountain sounds devine!!!

Mark said...

Nice run!!