Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Morning Run

Despite not having the best sleep I managed to not talk myself out of resetting the alarm when it went off at 4.45 am. I knew that it was my only shot of getting a run in today given the extreme hot weather we are experiencing. So by 5.00 am I was out the door.  Unfortunately last night my legs/ankles started to swell. I have been experiencing this off and on since having both children and it is the most uncomfortable experience for it feels like you are wearing heavy ankle weights and that your skin is too tight.  In the morning I felt like I had normal legs again but I knew I was still retaining at least 5 pounds of water and despite getting out early it was still 23 degrees, 32 with the humidex and after a slow start my legs started to feel full again. Arghhh. In the end I ran/walk 7.5k and I am proud of my accomplishment of being able to get up this early and get it done despite the challenges.  Last night and this morning though does provide another example that I need to overhaul my diet, plain and simple.

I am fascinated by the fact that when you give me a physical or even mental task I will plow through and demonstrate incredible determination and perseverance but when it comes to diet discipline I fail every single time. It is almost like the more I try the more I sabotage myself. I don't know how many times I have tried to keep a food journal and have never made it past day 1 and the countless books I have bought hoping that one would trigger a change within. Yet, I stuck to running 25k on Sunday when I could have found some very good excuses to not run or shorten my run without anyone casting a hint of judgment given the heat.  I don't get it and I don't know what it is going to take to switch that internal mechanism that will allow me to get on track and stay on track. How do other people do it?

2 comments:

Marlene said...

Great job getting out there and getting it done this morning. No easy task, that's for sure.

I'm with you 100% on the diet issue. I have been on and off the wagon countless times since Mississauga and that has reflected on the scale and how I feel in general. Why is it so difficult?!

Char said...

I really get that diet issue. I can't stick to a diet - ever! And that's why I run.