Friday, July 9, 2010

Hooked!

Given the obnoxious humid and hot weather we were experiencing this week I had to give up my morning and evening runs (morning runs due to the kids) for I don't do well in the heat. As a result I went out for a bike ride on Wed and Thurs night. Prior to Wed, I had only biked 3x this year and before that I really haven't cycled in 5 years but before children I used to do a lot of cycling. So when I saddled up I wasn't sure whether it would still be too hot to go out and how I would enjoy the ride given my past 3 rides were pleasure rides with kids in tow; which is a totally different experience.

Well let's just say within 5 minutes of being on the road, I was in pure heaven. The feeling of going down a hill at 40-45km/hour is incredible and the immediate feeling of a breeze as you cycle along despite the incredible heat was amazing.  The other advantage of biking versus running is that you can see a much richer view of the landscape as you cover ground. It doesn't hurt when you live in a town that is on the border of the country side that has many horse farms, farm fields and quiet country roads to take you away from the bustle of your daily life. So when the opportunity came up to go last night with the hubby I was the first to get dressed.

Given that I went out the night before I didn't want to push myself and risk injury so I took the ride a little easy. So at the turn around point I told my husband to continue for a couple of kilometers so he could get some speed work in and we would eventually meet up on the return trip. Near the point where I thought we would merge together I stopped to see if I could see him coming and to take a water break. While I was waiting I decided I might as well do a few stretches and during this time, three cyclists passed and asked me if I needed any assistance.  I said I was okay but thanks and I am sure they would have each stopped to help me in any which way they could if I honestly needed the help.  I always thought runners were very friendly with each other but it was great to see that the cyclists up in this area are just as friendly with each other, it is almost like there is a cycling code of conduct. Now the big dilemma or happy challenge to solution is how do I keep my running mileage up AND incorporate 1-2 rides in a week. A big happy sigh!


Wed Cycling Mileage: approx. 20 km
Thurs Cycling Mileage: 22 km

Until my next ride....

1 comments:

Marlene said...

40-45kph?? SCARY!!!!!!!!!