Thursday, November 4, 2010

Preparing for Angus Glen Half

It has been awhile since I have posted and the simple reason or excuse is time, not enough of it in the day.


Last night I went to run club to do the usual Wednesday night 10k route and my plan was to warm up for 2k or so and then run the rest at race pace, which is 5:30/k. Luckily Marlene and her hubby were out last night and that her normal running peeps were not to be found so she was stuck with me :-). I told her my plan knowing that it would be a walk in the park for her and she was more than happy to oblige in trying to keep that pace for me. So as planned, we took the first 2k easy and then picked it up to finish with a 5:39/k pace. Not bad at all but if you would have heard my breathing throughout the run, you would have thought that I either smoked a pack of cigarettes beforehand or was practicing for a night shift of phone sex with all that heavy breathing. Of course because of Marlene's amazing conditioning, she floated along breathing effortlessly like it was a walk in a park. I am determined to "catch up" to Marlene's current conditioning and last night's experience was only further motivation to get there.
In looking forward to the Angus Glen Half Marathon this Sunday, I do so with a little trepidation for I don't feel like I have put in the training, particularly speed work, to warrant a PB faster than 1:54:55 due to all the things going on in my life (i.e. Run4Rett event). I do want to give it my all but want to go in with something realistic given where I am at today.

Here are my times from the last two Angus Glen Half Marathon events:

2009 - 1:57:54
2008 - 2:03:11

My most recent Half Marathon time was back in late September at the Prince Edward County (PEC) Half Marathon of 1:58:47.

So my three time goals are as follows:

Time Goal A "Estatic" - 1:56-1:56:49
Time Goal B "Happy" - 1:57-1:57:49
Time Goal C "Content" - 1:58-1:59

2 comments:

Marlene said...

I was planning to run with you, silly! I will be happy to drag you along on Wednesdays to whip you into shape. :)

I recorded 4K's at 5:30 or better and the remaining 4 weren't far off.

Good luck on Sunday! I like the goals.

Char said...

Good luck in your race. Keeping my fingers crossed for that A goal.