Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Morning Runs

This morning I have set the record for the number of consecutive days and the # of times I have gotten up in the morning to do a workout EVER, which is 2!!! Yes, I know quite an amazing feat - lol. So the last two mornings I have been out the door at 5.00 am for a run. Yesterday I ran 7.5k and this morning I ran 8.15k. Usually I play a lot of mind games with myself and try to negotiate some more sleep which ends up leaving no time for any early morning workout but this week it was actually a smooth transition from the bed to my running shoes once the alarm went off.


It helps to hear the birds chirping away and knowing that the running conditions are far more favourable at this time of day then in the evening, 18 degrees versus mid twenties + humidity. Although I wore my Garmin to track the distance I tried not to look at my pace or even the elapsed time, for I really wanted to tune into my body and let it dictate the pace. In the end of both runs I went a lot slower than normal and although that does bug me a bit for I don't want to fall into a comfort zone, the runs were quite enjoyable. Part of the enjoyment stems from the fact that hardly anyone else was out at this time, besides the birds, the squirrels, and the occassional paper delivery person, and the absence of the usual hustle and bustle of a neighbourhood provides an undescribable state of being at ease within the body and the mind. After these two days there is definitely something alluring in running at this time when the rest of everyone is asleep so I am confident that a pattern has begun and I actually now look forward to my next morning run.

1 comments:

Marlene said...

Good for you!

I find I'm always slower in the morning, especially when it's SOOO early and you are probably only awake for 15 minutes or so before you start running. Your body is still half-sleeping.

At least you're getting out there!